18/9 Ruler Quilting Workshop for improvers
Saturday 18th September 10 -4 pm £42
Have you been tempted by free motion quilting using the rulers? If you had a try, liked it and would like to learn more, this is the class for you. Improvers Rulers to help you get more from this new invention tool.
To keep the guidelines of social distancing we can now only have 8 students per class. The class still costs £42, to secure your place you can now only pay a deposit and we will be in touch closer to date to confirm that it’s safe to run the class and to require the remaining £32.
|Date and Time|
Saturday 18th September 2021
Carolyn James is a Ruler Quilting and Patchwork and Quilting Tutor based on the Norfolk/Suffolk border .
OliVen, Bridge Farm Barns, Hadleigh Road, Monks Eleigh, Ipswich, IP7 7AY
- Sewing Machine with drop feed facility (in good working order) including Foot Pedal & Plug
- Spare needles (preferably Schmetz Topstitch 80/12 or 90/14)
- Extension Table for your sewing machine (highly recommended to create a stable base for your quilting)
- *Appropriate Westalee Ruler Foot (Starter Set) for your make and model of machine (a traditional free motion foot or darning foot will not work with the rulers) or any brand of Ruler Foot suitable for your machine
Please see the Cotton Patch website to order the correct Westalee ruler foot for your machine & use discount code CAROLYNFX in the coupon box at the checkout.
- *Westalee 12” Arc Ruler (The Westalee Starter Set includes the 12” Arc Ruler) or a Ruler Quilting Rulers with a straight edge and a curved edge (the tutor will have one to borrow at the workshop) If you do not have a curved ruler I have an alternative quilting pattern for you to stitch using only a straight edge
- *Westalee Spacing Gauge or other brand of spacing gauge
- 2m x Good quality 100% PLAIN quilting cotton
- 1m x Good quality 80/20 low loft cotton/poly mix wadding
- Cut the 2m of fabric in half and then cut again to give 8 x Fat Quarters. Use these to make 4 x fat quarter “quilt sandwiches” using the 80/20 cotton wadding. Spray Basting (e.g. with 505 spray) is fine or hand tack (please do not use safety pins).
- Quilting Rulers – you will need to mark 6” + 8” squares & reference lines on your fabric at the workshop (please note, you will not need your cutting mat or rotary cutter)
- Thread and Bobbins (use the same thread in the bobbin) in contrast colours to your fabric – For the workshop I suggest “Glide” or Mettler Trilobal thread, or a good quality 50wt cotton thread or a good quality polyester thread such as Mettler. Please avoid the variegated thread. I will spend time talking about thread options and have plenty for you to borrow so please don’t worry if you haven’t got the above…. Also, bring a couple of empty spare bobbins
- Fabric marker/pencil
- Small sharp scissors. Notebook & pen
Optional Extras: Quilting gloves
Glider Sheet e.g. Supreme Slider or Sew Slip Mat
*All of these are available in a cost saving “Quilt As You Go” set (also including the Sampler Set 1 & CrossHair Ruler) from The Cotton Patch website – don’t forget to use your 10% discount code for extra saving!
If you have any queries about the Ruler Foot you have, please speak to the workshop organiser or email the tutor firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation with 2 weeks notice – we will refund your payment or offer you a place on a future workshop.
Cancellations within 13 – 8 days of the workshop – we will refund 50% of the payment.
Last-minute cancellations, ie. 7 days or less before a workshop – we’re afraid we cannot refund any payments as from experience we’ve found it impossible to fill places at such short notice.
Full refund for cancellation under 14 days possible if we replace you. Thank you for understanding with these formalities.
A requirement list can be found in the previous tab. The cost of supplies and fabrics are not included in the cost of the workshop unless stated. If you purchase your supplies for the workshop at OliVen you will receive 5% discount.
A sewing machine or overlocker can be hired in the shop for £5 a day – subject to availability.